Friday 20 July 2012

T Minus 2 Days

It's two days until my Roadtrip to Nowhere.  I can barely sleep.  Mark and I got the van ready today.  We scrubbed the baby clean, blew up the air mattress, made the bed with Egyptian cotton sheets and a feather duvet (Yes, I am a princess... it's not a surprise, is it?) and tested out the curtains and sun shades.  He also handed me a pop tent and said, "Here.  Set it up".  Huh???  Do what???  As you can imagine, someone who brings Egyptian cotton sheets and a feather duvet on a road trip, does not know how to set up a tent.  Some things don't come naturally to a princess, and this is one of them.


"In case it's too hot to sleep in the van."  I looked at him with a haughty air and took the challenge.  As the boy scouts say: Always be prepared.  In the end, I did set up this little blue dome in about 10 minutes.  We had a discussion whether it was below the "Crusty Seal of Approval" or not to leave off the rain canopy and ground cloth, since I said it took up a whole 3 extra minutes taking care of that, but apparently it's important.  So in the end, I succeeded in setting up the tent, rain canopy and all... but couldn't get it all back in that tiny bag after I took it down.  That, my friends, is a whole other challenge.


I also learned how to dowload for offline use some books from www.audiobooks.com to my iPhone.  Oh how I love my audio books, especially while driving.  I could drive forever.  So far, I've got the rest of "Tis", by Frank McCourt, "The Other Queen", a historical story about Mary Queen of Scots by Phillipa Gregory and everything my new love, Ernest Hemingway has ever written.  If anything, I will come back well educated.


In the van as well, is a cooler for drinks and snacks, sun shades, curtains, extension cord, plug ins and converters for power source.. otherwise how am I going to blog this whole thing?  I think I'm set.  And I've got the tent, of course, in case the whole idea goes to sh*t and it's too hot to sleep in the van and I'm about to die of suffocation. 


I'll have someone else write the blog postings if I do die.  No worries.  









No comments:

Post a Comment